How to use MS SQL Server Database (For WebsitePanel)
Web servers are not meant to use MSSQL databases from the local folder. You need to publish the database to our MS SQL database servers. Publishing the database to the database servers will also enable you to access your database remotely from any pc by using MS SQL Server Management Studio 2008 Service Pack1 (SP1) which can be downloaded from download.microsoft.com fro free.
Please folow the below steps to publish your database to the Database Server:
1. Login to the Pace Infonet Hosting Control Panel using the username and password provided to you.
2. Moving your mouse on the “Database” option will give you options such “SQL Server 2008”, “MySQL 5”, Click on the appropriate option to create new database.
3. Click on the “Create Database” button. Provide a Database name and create the database
4. Now create a Database user by clicking the “Create User” button below the Database list. Provide a Database username and password for.
5. Now there are two ways you can mange your database one is using MyLittleAdmin by clicking on the browse link right next to your database name. BUT MyLittleAdmin is a third party application which we offer to our clients for basic operations. But due to its unstable nature we STRONGLY recommed the use of MS SQL Management Studio 2008 SP! for managing your database.
You can login to the database server using the MS SQL server management studio 2008 by entering the one of the database names mentioned below, the full username (eg. userid_username) you created in control panel for the database, the password for the user and authetication type as “SQL Authentication”. Here you can see your database in the database list once logged in and perform actions like running queries, scripts, creating tables etc.
6. TO RESTORE .BAK FILES: You can easity restore your local database to your newly created database by clicking on the database name in control panel >> click on the “Maintenance Tools” >> Click on the “Restore” button. Here you will be asked to either upload or choose location of .bak file from your hosting space. We recommend the later method in case of large files.
Now your databse is ready to use. Next step is to establish a connection with the database. Use the below details in any connection string or wizard where you need to connect to this database wether in a web page or in a vb application:
1. Data Source / Databse Server Name: use the below values for corresponding database types
localhost\SQLEXPRESSS is running MS SQL 2008 (for locally hosted scripts)
[YOUR CONTROL PANEL IP],1433 is running MS SQL 2008 (For remote management)
localhost is running MySQL
2. InitialCatalog / Database Name: the name which give to you database including prefix for eg. “userid_dbname”
3. Use authenticated connection strings and enter the values for Username and password the same values which you used to create a user in the control panel. For eg. User ID=”userid_dbusername” adn Password=”dbuserpassword”
Below is a sample connection string for MS SQL 2008 to use with ASP.NET which is to be introduced in web.config file.
<add name=”ConnectionString” providerName=”System.Data.SqlClient” connectionString=”Data Source=localhost\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=userid_dbname1;User ID=userid_dbusername;Password=dbpassword;” />
2,186 total views, 1 views today